06 August 2022

Day 26: Rosa Mystica

 +JMJat+

" "Rosa mystica :" Mystical rose. It is eaid of Mary, in the holy Canticles, that she was the inclosed garden of God : "Hortus conclusus soror mea sponsa." And St. Bernard explaining this passage, says that the Lord planted in this garden all the flowers that adorn the Church, and among others the violet of humility, the lily of purity, and the rose of charity. The rose is red ; and therefore Mary is called the rose, according to the Idiot, on account of the ardent chanty with which her heart was always inflamed towards God, and towards us. And where can we find an advocate who is more occupied with our salvation, and who loves us more than Mary ? We acknowledge that one alone in heaven is solicitous for us, as St. Augustine says of her. Oh my dear mother, if I could love as thou lovest me ! I will not, however, fail of doing what I can to honor and love thee ; my sweet Lady, obtain for me the grace to be faithful to thee."

 St. Alphonsus Liguori, Doctor of the Church