20 August 2009

Some Thursday Lessons from August, Divine Office

Thurday of the Divine Office, Third Week of August
4th class

From the book of Wisdom
Lesson i Ch. 9:13-19
For what man knows God's counsel, or who can conceive what the Lord intends? For the deliberations of mortals are timid, and unsure are our plans. For the corruptible body burdens the soul and the earthen shelter weighs down the mind that has many concerns. And scare do we guess the things on earth, and what is within our grasp we find with difficulty; but when things are in heaven, who can search them out? Or who ever knew your counsel, except you had given Wisdom and sent your Holy Spirit from high? And thus were the paths of those on earth made straight, and men learned what was your pleasure. For it was by Wisdom that all those were saved who pleased you, Lord, from the beginning.

R. In the beginning, before God made the earth, before He established the depths, before He brought forth the spirngs of water, Before the mountains were settled into place, before all the hills, the Lord begot me.
V. When He established the heavens, I was there, I was beside Him as His craftsman. Before the mountains were settled into place, before all the hills, the Lord begot me.


Thurday of the Divine Office, Fourth Week of August

From the book of Ecclesiasticus
Ch. 3:22-26
What is too sublime for you, seek not; into things beyond your strength search not. But the things that God has commanded you, think about them always, and curb your curiosity about his many works; for what is hidden is not your concern. With what is too much for you meddle not, and curb your curiosity about his many works; for many things beyond human understanding have been shown you. Their own opinion has misled many, and false reasoning unbalanced their judgment.

R. In the beginning, before God made the earth, before He established the depths, before He brought forth the sprince of water, Before the mountains were settled into place, before all the hills, the Lord begot me.

V. When He established the heavens, I was there, I was beside Him as His craftsman. Before the mountains were settled into place, before all the hills, the Lord begot me.

Ch. 3:27-30
A stubborn man will fare badly in the end, adn he who loves danger will perish in it. A heart turned two ways will have no success, and he who is perverse of heart will find this duplicity a stumbling block. A stubborn man will be burdened with sorrow; a sinner will heap sin upon sin. For the assembly of the proud there will be no cure; for sin will take root in them without their perceiving it.

R. The vault of heaven I compassed alone; over the waves of the sea I walked; over every nation and people I held sway. By my own power I have trodden upon the necks of the proud and haughty. V. In the highest heavens I dwell, my throne on a pillar of cloud. By my own power I have trodden upon the necks of the proud and haughty.

Ch. 3:31-34
The heart of a sage makes itself known by his wisdom, and the ear of a good man will listen to wisdom with all eagerness. The wise and understanding heart will refrain from sin and succeed in the works of justice. Water quenches a flaming fire, and alms atone for sins. God looks with favor on one who does a kindness, and remembers him afterward; when he falls he finds a support.

R. Send forth Wisdom, Lord, from Your glorious throne, that she may be with me and work with me, That I may know what is pleasing to You at all times.
V. Give me Wisdom, Lord, the attendant at Your throne, That I may know what is pleasing to You at all times. Glory be to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit, as it was in the beginning, is now, and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.

That I may know what is pleasing to You at all times.

No comments:

Post a Comment